sábado, 5 de março de 2011

Beginning

I guess that beginning the character work is always the hard part, but it does have to start. And in the end, I believe that the connection between actor and character is so wonderful that it makes all the hard work worth it.
I tried out various exercises, to help me get in the atmosphere of the Ophelia's situation, life, feelings, relationships, etc. I was kind of rusty, I might say. I was so difficult to try and leave myself behind and embrace another's world. Even so, towards the end of my "rehearsal" I was able to do it, to loose myself for a moment. It felt amazing.
The text, is getting more familiar. I'm starting to love the words and what they represent. I mean, let's see: how exactly is her mental and emotional state when the scene begins? She is shocked, obviously, but does she blame herself for his madness? Does she get upset because her love is going mad. Is she worried he is really mad? And why does she go to father?

OH - That's a HUGE question. Why does she insist on going to her father to talk about Hamlet? Why does she tell him everything? Why does she obbey?

- Because he is the only parental figure she can rely on
- Her brother has left, apparently Hamlet is going mad, so maybe he is the only person she can talk to
- Out of respect. At the time a lady's role was very well determined, she should obbey the male figure in her life. In this case, her father
- She's is so isolated that she has to tell someone

Who knows?

Anyway, I'll answer that later, when I have a clearer view on the matter. For now let's look at how she feels. I am really convinced that is visualizing the scene in her heard while she repeats it. Pretty sure. But even so, what is her voice like. I mean, she is shocked, so it has to be startled, but she is still a fragile, oppressed girl, so she would never speak loudly or shout. So I think that her shockedness reflects inwards, making her even more isolated.

Another good question:

Does she already hint her future madness?

Her eyes, I mean, do they foreshadow her mental fragility and her future collapse?

I'll leave on that one.

Good night Ophelia, sleep tight.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário